Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Movie Review: If I Stay (2014)


Movie: If I Stay (2014)

Director: R.J. Cutler

Writer: Shauna Cross (Screenplay), Gayle Forman (Novel)

Cast: Chloe Grace Moretz, Jamie Buckley, Mireille Enos, Joshua Leonard, Liana Liberato, Stacey Keach, Gabrielle Rose, & Jakob Davies

One-Line Plot Synopsis: After being in a car accident and put into a coma, Mia Hall (Moretz) has an out of body experience where she had to decide whether or not to come back to her body or not.



I'm just going to say it, I'm a big Chloe Grace Moretz fan.  I feel like Abigail Breslin must be pissed because she's now basically the poor man's Chloe Grace Moretz after exploding onto the acting scene with Signs and an Oscar Nomination for Little Miss Sunshine.  Chloe has just had a way more interesting career and has really grown into herself.  Plus, she's dating David Beckham's son which has to be pretty cool.  I'm not sure what that kid does other than be David Beckham's son but these days that's probably more than enough.

OK, sorry about the random side rant but onto the movie.  First off, I have to say that this was the wife's choice of movie when we had a night in (which is pretty much every night now with the baby).  I have to throw her a bone every once in a while so I try and steer her pick to at least have someone I like in it.  

Even with Grace Moretz in the movie, it was pretty blah.  Chloe's character Mia Hall, gets into a car accident and while in a coma from the crash, has to make the decision whether or not to come back to her body.  There have definitely been movies very similar to this premise, something like The Invisible comes to mind.  By the way, The Invisible has a very good trailer for a movie being so very mediocre to less than mediocre.  

If I was a teenage girl who read sappy teen romance novels, I would have probably eaten this movie up...unfortunately, I'm a 33 year old married father, so I'm probably not the target audience they were looking for anyway.  The movie has a very puppy love feel to it and a "misunderstood teen" vibe to it that I'm sure some of the youngings can relate to...but not for me.

Rating: 5/10