Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Movie Review: The Girl on the Train (2016)


Movie: The Girl on the Train (2016)

Diretor: Tate Taylor

Writer: Erin Cressida Wilson (Screenplay), Paula Hawkins (Novel)

Cast: Emily Blunt, Justin Theroux, Rebecca Ferguson, Luke Evans, Haley Bennett, Edgar Ramirez, Allison Janney, Lisa Kudrow, Laura Prepon, & Darren Goldstein

One-Line Plot Synopsis: A alcoholic divorcee (Blunt) becomes entangled in a murder investigation of a couple she sees on her train ride home each day.



It may sound cliche, but this statement has literally never been truer, the book is better than the movie.  The Girl on the Train book is no less than 5x better than the movie.  Before I get into actual movie, I just want to ask a question...why was the movie set in New York?  The book is set in England.  Emily Blunt is English.  Why are they setting the movie in the States with Emily Blunt as the lead??  What's the logic behind that?  

I'm trying to remember the last time I was so disappointed by a movie after liking a book so much.  It's probably been since The Lovely Bones.  I think it's hard to match the internal struggles and thoughts of a book character when translated to the screen but usually there is an even compromise that can be made.  

For some reason, I don't remember Megan, played by Haley Bennett, having such a large role in the book.  I've been told by the wife that I'm "misremebering" and that she had a big part in the book but I just don't remember such an in depth dive into her backstory.  She seemed like she was almost the main character in the movie and I just didn't get that feeling in the book.  But...I don't want to be the guy that just compares the book and the movie, so let's just focus on the movie.

Emily Blunt is great.  She's in my top ten current favorite actresses working today.  That's a fact.  I have to admit though, that I wasn't exactly picturing Emily Blunt when I envisioned the role of Rachel.  She was much more of a wreck and a good deal more overweight.  Blunt was actually pregnant during a good portion of the filming but since she wasn't divulging her pregnancy to many people during the filming, it actually took away from the depressed and "let go" version of the character.  Justin Theroux was actually very well cast as Tom.  He has that intensity that comes off as a little bit scary but in a way where you want to like him but are unsure of his intentions at pretty much all time.  He's just an intense dude.

Even thought he movie is just shy of two hours long, it sure feels like a hell of a lot longer.  The movie drags and an almost unbearable pace in the middle and by the end, you just kind of want it to be over.  You want the twist(s) to be revealed just so you can finish it and move on to something more enjoyable...and easy to follow. 

Rating: 5/10