Saturday, July 15, 2017

Movie Review: Don't Breathe (2016)


Movie: Don't Breathe (2016)

Director: Fede Alvarez

Writer: Fede Alvarez & Rodo Sayagues

Cast: Dylan Minnette, Jane Levy, Stephen Lang, Daniel Zovatto, & Emma Bercovici

One-Line Plot Synopsis: Thieves (Minnette, Levy, & Zovatto) break into a supposed blind man's (Lang) house to try and steal his fortune.



A very simple story and premise set up Don't Breathe, but everything is done so well that it works incredibly well.  Three young thieves played by Dylan Minnette, Jane Levy, and Daniel Zovatto, break into the house of a blind man (Stephen Lang) to try and steal his fortune that he has hidden in a safe.  However, it's never that easy is it?  

The movie pulls off a feeling of complete claustrophobia as the surroundings of the house seem to close in on you throughout the movie as everyone tries to make their daring escapes.  On top of that, the fact that the blind man works totally off of his hearing and touch, I sometimes found myself unknowingly holding my breath during some intense scenes.  The movie plays off of that deafening silence to translate feelings of dread and anxiousness.  I'm already an anxious person so those scenes had me on edge.

I would definitely classify this more as a thriller than a horror movie, much like how I see the movie Green Room.  Both of those movies play off that same feeling of trying to escape a terrifying situation that the characters unexpectedly find themselves in, and both of them do it very, very well.  

I have referred to Dylan Minnette as the poor man's Logan Lerman in the past, but I think I'm ready to separate the two now as Minnette keeps on impressing me with good work, but I mean look at how similar this guys look.  


I still count the show Awake as one of my favorites to get cancelled to early...I should probably do a top ten list at some point for shows that were cancelled to early.  If that show was made a couple of years later with all of the platforms to choose your TV from, I'm sure it would've gotten more of a shot.  Minnette has come out with the super underrated Prisoners, the surprisingly very well done American remake Let Me In, and recently starred in the breakout TV hit, 13 Reasons Why

Everybody should take note that this is how you do a good thriller.  An original story, great direction, and a stellar job from the cast all-around.

Don't Breathe 2 has apparently been announced according to IMDb but I'm not sure how a sequel would turn out.  It doesn't list a potential cast yet but the director, Fede Alvarez looks like he'd be back which is a great start.

Rating: 8/10