Saturday, July 15, 2017

Movie Review: 10 Cloverfield Lane (2016)


Movie: 10 Cloverfield Lane (2016)

Director: Dan Trachtenberg

Writer: Josh Campbell (Screenplay), Matthew Stuecken (Screenplay), & Damien Chazelle (Screenplay)

Cast: John Goodman, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, John Gallagher, Jr., & Bradley Cooper

One-Line Plot Synopsis: After getting into a car accident, a woman (Winstead) is held in a shelter by two men (Goodman & Winstead) and told that there has been a chemical attack and she can't go outside.



I don't know what's going on lately, but everybody seems to be making these really great movies with small casts in terrifying enclosed spaces.  First it was Green Room, then it was Don't Breathe, and now it's 10 Cloverfield Lane.  Whatever this trend is, I for one, fucking love it.  These movies are all intense and so well done.

10 Cloverfield Lane takes off where the breakout J.J. Abrams hit Cloverfield leaves off.  I have to admit, I enjoyed the idea of Cloverfield much more than I did the actual movie.  The constant camera movement jolting back and forth gave me more of a headache as the movie went on.  I would have much preferred it to be sparingly used rather than the only camera method used for the entire film.

What actually might be scarier than the monsters in monster movies is the kind of monsters that regular people can become.  That's a much scarier notion to me for a movie.  The underlying monstrosities that come to the surface of certain people when they are put into extreme survival situations.  The things that people can be capable of in these scenarios is absolutely a terrifying scenario.  John Goodman toes that line superbly of being a paranoid owner of an apocalypse bunker that might be crazy but also right or actually just being a psychopath with made up notions of doomsday situations.

The movie plays out as a fun game of trying to decipher what the truth of the events that happened outside the bunker actually are and what events might have transpired within the bunker before everyone got there.

Mary Elizabeth Winstead.  





Ever sing Scott Pilgrim, I've found her completely gorgeous.  It's that combination of the girl next door, with the cool girl, with just being flat out beautiful.  I'm not sure what it is...but whatever you're doing, keep it up.  She was also great in Smashed playing the alcoholic wife of Aaron Paul.

She's fantastic in this movie and I hope to see her much more in movies in the future.  She was probably my favorite part of this past season of Fargo.  Also, shout out to Sky High, I really enjoyed that movie and I hope I wasn't the only one.  I can envision Winstead on the same sort of trajectory as Brie Larson, just on a little bit of a lesser scale so far.  Smashed was her Short-Term 12, the life of an alcoholic and 10 Cloverfield Lane was her Room, a held against her will movie.

Rating: 8.5/10