Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Movie Review: Green Room (2015)


Movie: Green Room (2015)

Director: Jeremy Saulnier

Writer: Jeremy Saulnier

Cast: Patrick Stewart, Anton Yelchin, Joe Cole, Alia Shawkat, Imogen Poots, Callum Turner, Eric Edelstein, Macon Blair, David W. Thompson, & Mark Webber

One-Line Plot Synopsis: A punk rock band is in danger after witnessing a murder at a Neo-Nazi venue.



A couple of things here, so I don't know where I exactly want to start.  I think I'm just going to go with some quick hits and kind of go all over the place here.

I really like Patrick Stewart as a villain.  Also, I love Patrick Stewart in general and especially his relationship with Sir Ian McKellen.  



I love them both...so much.  I don't want to get too into it but I hope I have a friend like that when I'm older.

Now, I don't know if it's just because there are more movies that are readily available in general or not, but I feel like there have been a lot more quality thriller/horror movies these days than there have been in the past.

This movie was not only totally original but realistic in a way that heightens the tension of the situation to crazy heights.  I mean, I'm not in a punk/metal band or anything but all the events that are happening, I could totally see happening at some level.  Everyone seemed perfectly cast in the movie and completely believable in all of their roles.  I don't really think you'd want to hear that if you were one of the Nazi's but you obviously aren't the actual personality of the person you're playing, I'm just saying that they all play the characters extremely well and look the part.

The movie was a perfect and succinct thriller, compacted in a little ball of tension.  The movie got right into the shit really quick and built that adrenaline in a way that always kept you on your toes.  It was a realistic type of thriller and those are my absolute favorite kind of movies to watch.  I find them extremely entertaining and the sense of urgency you have while watching it is an awesome and unexpected feeling to have. The tint of the film made the tone and sense of the situation seem more dire the entire time.  A must see for Anton Yelchin fans and thriller fans in general.

P.S. Patrick Stewart said in an interview that when he finished reading the script at his country home in England, it was so terrifying that he locked up his house, turned on the security system, and poured himself a Scotch. He then knew that he wanted to play the Darcy Banker role because a character that horrifying would be an incredible challenge, and make for a compelling film.

P.P.S. Anton Yelchin’s last feature film to be released before his death, on June 19, 2016.

Rating: 8.5/10