Providence Friars (20-11) 86
St. John's Red Storm (13-18) 75
6...Can I get a 6 in a row!?!
The Friars needed to complete their 6-game Big East win streak in order to solidify themselves both a first round bye in the Big East Tournament and a spot in the NCAA Tournament.
The win gave their Friars at least 1 win over every team in the conference not named Villanova. That fact bodes well for Providence as they enter the Big East Tournament. They know that they can beat any team in the conference and also they already know that they can at least hang with Nova. The fact that the Freshmen got to play under the lights of MSG before the BE Tourney, behind a large Friar contingent, gives them a little experience in the Big Apple before the massive conference tournament.
Isaiah Jackson continues to develop into a legit difference maker, scoring 18 points off the bench to go along with 17 points from both Alpha Diallo and Jalen Lindsey. The fact that Kryon Cartwright, Emmitt Holt, and Rodney Bullock weren't among the three leading scorers for the Friars during a must win game that they still won handily speaks to the depth of this particular Providence team.
- Let's talk a little bit about Isaiah Jackson shall we?
- Jackson scored a team-high (and season-high) 18 points on a very impressive 8-10 shooting. Isaiah is now averaging 11.4 points off the bench over the last 5 games for the Friars. A double-figure scorer off the bench is an ace in the hole to have in your back pocket, not only as another guy that the opposing team has to worry about but also some insurance in case one of your top scorers finds himself in foul trouble.
- To show that he isn't just all about the points, Jackson also had 7 rebounds and 3 assists.
Both Jackson & Diallo have stepped their games up 10 notches during the Friars win streak. Facts. #pcbb #sjbb #alphadiallo #isaiahjackson pic.twitter.com/Gz0pKKqOpS— The Morning Hangover (@TheMorningHang) March 5, 2017
- Kalif Young had 10 rebounds in the first half alone. He finished the game with 11 rebounds in just 13 minutes and 6 points on 3-5 shooting. He makes his impact felt in a short period of time but that was especially evident in this game.
Kalif Young cleaning up the scraps all game #pcbb #sjbb #kalifyoung #AllDayHustlePlay pic.twitter.com/GIIvtgiuEK
- Alpha Diallo seems to step up on the big stage. Diallo plays with a different kind of intensity when there's a big game. Alpha was 5-10 from the floor, 6-8 from the line, and added in 4 assists.
- He's also decided to try and slam it home whenever he's around the rim now...which I am all for.
Alpha Diallo running the floor like a god damn gazelle #pcbb #sjbb #alphadiallo #isaiahjackson pic.twitter.com/vw2x3k1QWq— The Morning Hangover (@TheMorningHang) March 5, 2017
- Kyron Cartwright didn't have his usual offensive prowess working, shooting just 3-12 from the floor for 8 points. Even with just 8 points and a paltry shooting night, Cartwright still almost had a triple-double with 8 points, 7 assists, and 8 rebounds.
The sweet hesitation blow by by Kyron Cartwright #pcbb #sjbb #kyroncartwright #LeftInTheDust pic.twitter.com/MKe4ATlkP6
- Rodney Bullock was in foul trouble for the majority of the game including most of the 2nd half and the Friars were in dire need of someone to step up in his absence. Emmitt Holt really stepped up to the table, scoring 14 points on 4-6 shooting.
- Jalen Lindsey, sharpshooter.
- Lindsey went 4-7 from the field, 3-6 from three, and 6-8 from the line for 17 points.
- This was the 7th game in a row with multiple made 3-point field goals from Lindsey.
You give Jalen Lindsey an inch and you might as well be giving him a mile #trey #pcbb #sjbb #jalenlindsey #unlimitedrange pic.twitter.com/0iz1FvdUsu
- Shamorie Ponds is a helluva Frosh. He was the only St. John's player doing anything that scared you as a PC fan and he was able to score 29 points...although it was on 25 shots.
- I love Coach Cooley talking in his postgame speech. He's just the fucking best.
- Just a reminder how how awesome Kyron Cartwright is, in case you didn't know.
You call that a hard foul Ali Bagel Sandwich? My man Kyron doesn't think so. #pcbb #sjbb #kyroncartwright pic.twitter.com/rJTotjRrGA
- Post Game Celebration Photo...favorite guy is Tommy Planek, I finally caught on to his patented thumbs up move.