Providence Friars (13-9) 86
St. John's Red Storm (10-12) 91
That was the game that PC couldn't afford lose. Against a St. John's team that is lower than them in the standings and have lost against some pretty bad teams this year (i.e. Delaware State & LIU Brooklyn) and in the home confines of The Dunk, the Friars should have won that game.
Providence was able to shoot 62.0% from the floor and 40.0% from three-point range and still lost this game. They shot fucking 62%!!! And lost?!?
There were three facets of the game that put the Friars in a position to lose this game.
- They didn't take care of the ball, turning it over 19 times in the game. Games are hard to win when you have more turnovers than assists (15).
- The were able to get to the free throw line 27 times in this game, which is great. Unfortunately, they only connected on 18 of those attempts, converting on 66.7% from the line.
- As well as the Friars shot in the game, St. John's also shot the lights out, shooting 52.5% from the floor, 47.6% from three (on 21 shots), and 89.5% from the line (on 19 shots).
- Kind of a 4, those refs.
- Rodney Bullock has one of his better offensive games in a while, shooting 8-13 from the floor for a team-high 20 points.
- Unfortunately, he also turned the ball over 4 times.
- But, back to good things, he tied for a team-high with 8 rebounds.
- Kalif Young got the start over Emmitt Holt in an attempt to switch up some of the lineup.
- Oddly, Young didn't record a single rebound in 18 minutes. Off the bench he's basically been feasting on rebounds in limited minutes. Now he starts and doesn't get a single rebound, I think it's just weirder than anything else.
- Kalif did have a nice little pick-and-roll play with Cartwright.
Love this entire two man sequence from Kyron Cartwright and Kalif Young, showing a really nice feel for each other #pcbb #sjbb pic.twitter.com/U5w4zZIik9
- Maybe it was the fresh haircut.
- Alpha Diallo had his official best game of the year for the Friars. This is now the 5th time that I've written those words but I think this time it's going to stand for a while.
- Diallo had actually been struggling since being inserted into the starting lineup but showed up in a big way for this game. Maybe being from NYC he had some extra motivation to show out in this game.
- Alpha was 5-6 from the floor for a new career-high 18 points, his first time ever even scoring in double figures.
- He also recorded a new career-high in rebounds, tying with Bullock for a team-high 8 rebounds on the night, utilizing his length against some smaller opposition.
- Let's see, any more new career-highs? YUP! A new career-high 4 assists (to just one TO).
- He also had career-highs in free throws made and attempted, going 8-8 from the charity stripe.
- Oh, and he chipped in a block and a steal just so he could completely fill out the rest of the scoresheet.
- GREAT game from Alpha...just wished he threw this one down with some authority.
Love the hustle from Diallo but next time I want some aggression with my breakaway dunks #pcbb #sjbb #alphadiallo pic.twitter.com/9H7ITPO4Qq
- Nice mean mug though.
- Jalen Lindsey continued to excel with the three-ball, hitting 3-6 from behind the arc for 13 points.
- Lindsey also showed off his crazy athleticism with this rebound...
- Unfortunately, Lindsey struggled with some foul trouble that limited his time on the floor.
- Kyron Cartwright was very efficient from the floor, going 6-10 for 16 points but didn't take care of the ball in the way that us Friar fans are used to, turning the ball over 6 times.
- My favorite Cartwright play was this high-stepping from coast-to-coast doing his best Prime Time impression.
Cartwright doing his best Deion Sanders impression #pcbb #sjbb #highsteppin #kyroncartwright #showtime pic.twitter.com/Dk6GJOVePg— The Morning Hangover (@TheMorningHang) February 1, 2017
- Maliek White had a very nice game off the pine, dropping 2 threes for 6 points.
- P.S. I hate Marcus Lovett now. Fact.
- And one more Cartwright highlight that I'm tallying up as a dunk.
The steal and finish from Cartwright that I am officially calling a dunk #pcbb #sjbb #kyroncartwright #slammajamma #closeenough pic.twitter.com/KtDvdmqjI8— The Morning Hangover (@TheMorningHang) February 1, 2017
- The Friars throwback jerseys were absolutely FIRE and I need one more than I need just about anything else in my entire life...