Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Movie Review: Sisters (2015)


Movie: Sisters (2015)

Director: Jason Moore

Writer: Paula Pell

Cast: Amy Poehler, Tina Fey, Maya Rudolph, Ike Baronholtz, James Brolin, Dianne West, John Leguizamo, John Cena, Rachel Dratch, Bobby Moynihan, Madison Davenport & Greta Lee 

One-Line Plot Synopsis: Two sisters (Poehler & Fey) decide to throw a party at the house they grow up in before their parents finally sell it.




The movie Sisters reminded me a lot of another movie I've seen with the comedy duo of Amy Poehler and Tina Fey, Baby Mama.  Now, I want to say that it was more because it was just a mediocre comedy but it was most likely because it was a female-driven comedy with the same two female leads, except in this one, they kind of just switch roles.  Fey was the straight-edge one who had it all together in Baby Mama and is now the single mom who likes to party in Sisters.  Poehler was the surrogate mother looking for a pay day in Baby Mama and is now the straight-edge business woman in Sisters.

It seemed to me that there was a lot of improvisational jokes in the movie and that would definitely fit with the M.O. of Poehler and Fey, who came up together in Second City, the famous Chicago-based improve comedy group.  They must not have had a ton of A material because it felt a little like the sketches nowadays on SNL.  The premise is set up pretty decently but the scene goes on way too long and by the time it actually ends you're bored out of your mind.  I'll give you a for instance.  When the police officer gets called to the house and Fey and Poehler keep throwing out one-liners to the cop.  There are maybe 2 to 3 good lines in there, but the scene give you 10 to 12 one-liners that just drag the scene on forever.

The movie was just blah.  I'm not going to ever have the urge to watch it again but I didn't think it was overly super terrible or anything.  It's almost exactly like Baby Mama.

As weird as it sounds, I continue to really like John Cena popping up in comedies.  He really has a knack for it and really good comedic timing considering his background.

I don't think that I'm ever going to find Maya Rudolph funny.  That may just be personal preference but I feel like she only plays one character with an over-the-top personality who think she's hot shit or she plays someone who has her "Oprah voice."

I never know how I feel about Ike Baronholtz but I support the fact that he plays in Matthew Berry's Celebrity Fantasy Football League.

Rating: 5/10