Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Movie Review: Tomorrowland (2015)


Movie: Tomorrowland (2015)

Director: Brad Bird

Writer: Damon Lindelof, Brad Bird, & Jeff Jensen

Cast: George Clooney, Hugh Laurie, Britt Robertson, Tim McGraw, Kathryn Hahn, Keegan-Michael Key, Judy Greer, Raffey Cassidy, & Thomas Robinson

One-Line Plot Synopsis: A curious teen (Robertson) and a former kid inventor (Clooney) embark on a journey to find a secret futuristic land that has been closed off from modern society...it's Tomorrowland from Disney, as a movie.




If you had asked me to name the top 10 rides or themes from Disney World that you could turn into potentially good movies, I don't think Tomorrowland would even be on my radar.  And guess what, it looks like I would've been right.

I'm not going to lie, the trailer for Tomorrowland actually looked relatively good, even if I didn't think I would remotely be interested in a movie about it.  The movie on the other hand, not so interesting.  The movie was written by Damien Lindelof (Lost, The Leftovers), directed by Brad Bird (The Incredibles, Ratatouille) and with George Clooney (you know who George Clooney is).  So you're basically putting together a super creative writer with a guy who knows what he's doing making innovative children's movies and then pairing them both with George Clooney.  That would seem like a perfect recipe for a great PG-rated movie if you ask me.  

I think the problem stems from the kid actors in the movie.  The lead actress, Britt Robertson, is a bucket of vanilla ice cream.  She just doesn't really add anything to the movie and is actually kind of irritating in role as Casey Newton.  I usually don't like to trash on young actors and actresses in movies because they're most likely doing a hell of a lot better than I could do if I was that young and trying to carry the load for a movie, but in the rare case that they basically ruin the whole movie for me, I'll make it a point of contention in my review.  Plus, she's actually 26, so I think I'm in the clear here...she's just playing someone who's a lot younger.

The story was boring, the special effects were marginally sufficient, and the movie seemed to just drag on for freaking ever.  Not for me.

Rating: 4/10

P.S. I kind of liked the scene with Key.  I'll give you that one, but that's the only one.