Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Movie Review: Insurgent (2015)


Movie: Insurgent (2015)

Director: Robert Schwentke

Writer(s): Brian Duffield, Akiva Goldsman, & Mark Bomback

Cast: Shailene Woodley, Kate Winslet, Theo James, Ansel Elgort, Miles Teller, Jai Courtney, Mekhi Phifer, Octavia Spencer, Zoe Kravitz, Tony Goldwyn, Ashley Judd, Naomi Watts, & Ray Stevenson

One-Line Plot Synopsis: The second chapter in the Divergence series that continues to follow Trice Prior (Woodley) in her revolutionary fight against the forces in charge.




Here I am, once again, having to finally write the review to a movie I saw month ago, just in time before the next movie in the franchise comes out.  Wait, actually, I think I'm late on this one and the third movie, Allegiant, just came out on DVD.  Also, I'm not wasting time to go and look into it, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

I always think its kind of weird that Shailene Woodley is co-starring with three guys that she's been romantic with in movies in Insurgent.  Woodley's brother in the movie is Ansel Elgort who was her love interest in The Fault in Our Stars, her frenemy is Miles Teller who is her love interest in The Spectacular Now, and then her actual love interest in Insurgent is Theo James.  It's just a weird dynamic when they're all in the same scene together...but that's possibly/definitely totally in my head.

I've been trying to pinpoint exactly what it is about Shailene Woodley that I'm not totally on board with but I just can't totally figure it out.  She's definitely super weird when I see her in interviews on TV and stuff but I've never really had to like someone's actual personality to like them in movies.  Her voice is kind of annoying in a way that sounds like a person coming off some hardcore partying but I don't think that's it either.  I think it's a combination of things really.

Miles Teller is completely underutilized in these movies.

The fact that Kate Winslet is in these movies makes them immediately legitimate.  In fact, the movies are littered with Oscar nominated actors and actress.  Octavia Spencer (Oscar winner), Kate Winslet (Oscar winner and 7 total nominations), and Naomi Watts (2 Oscar nominations) are all pulling some serious acting credentials into the fold for the movie.

The Divergent series is definitely not on the same level as the Hunger Games, but they're not bad either.  It probably has more do to with the cast being stacked with good actors.  If the cast had more unknowns or was filled out by lesser actors, these movies would probably just be another Maze Runner or something on that level.

Rating 6/10

P.S. Just a sidenote, but Ansel Elgort just dropped a new song, "Home Alone," and I have to admit, it's got a little sizzle to it.


P.P.S. Come on, more Zoe Kravitz???