Friday, August 19, 2016

Movie Review: Edge of Tomorrow (2014)


Movie: Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

Director: Doug Liman

Writer: Christopher McQuarrie, Jez Butterworth, John-Henry Butterworth, & Hiroshi Sakurazaka (novel)

Cast: Tom Cruise, Emily Blunt, Brendan Gleeson, Bill Paxton, Noah Taylor, Jonas Armstrong, Tony Way, Kick Gurry, Franz Drameh, Dragomir Mrsic, & Charlotte Riley

One-Line Plot Synopsis: A military soldier (Cruise) gains the ability to re-live the same day over and over and must use that power to stop an alien invasion.



I went into this movie with little to no expectations.  After all, its been a while since Tom Cruise had been on his A action game.  I mean, if you take out the Mission Impossible franchise, his last action movies were Oblivion, Jack Reacher, Knight and Day, Valkyrie, Lions for Lambs, and War of the Worlds.  That brings us all the way back to 2004 with Collateral where he had a legitimately awesome action movie.  It had been a solid decade, so I think my low expectations were justified going into this movie.  Now, that's not to say that I didn't watch all these movies, because I did, they were all just pretty good or worse than that.

Boy was I just fucking knocked out by how good this movie was.  Think of Groundhog Day but instead of a dark comedy, it's a kick ass action movie about an alien invasion.  Finally, FINALLY, Tom Cruise is back and I can enjoy him in my movies again.  Granted, I still watch A Few Good Men whenever it's on (and it's on a lot) and he has a super deep arsenal of incredible and re-watchable movies, but I'm just kind of excited about a Tom Cruise resurgence with new movies.  

As far as Emily Blunt...I'm not 100% sure, but I think I'm love.  Not to mention the fact that she's married to Jim from The Office (but I just mentioned it), but she can somehow pull off the incredibly difficult task of being a credible bad ass chick in an action movie.  She now has a trifecta of Edge of Tomorrow, Looper, and Sicario.  Three dope ass movies.  I think it's so much harder for a girl to pull of being tough in an action movie but she seems to have it down to a science.  Thinking back, just off the top of my head, the list of bad ass girls in movies, is Gina Davis in the criminally underrated and darkly hilarious The Long Kiss Goodnight, my guilty please movie G.I. Jane with Demi Moore (I know, it surprised me too), Uma Thurman in the Kill Bills, and Sigourney Weaver in the Alien movies.  That's basically the list.  There may be one or two more women that you could argue but you're not getting into double-digits unless you're bending your believability requirements.

Maybe we should just get Doug Liman directing all the action movies that come out.  After the Bourne movies and this one, I can't say that I can argue with that philosophy.  And then he can toss a Swingers or Go out there every once in a while to keep us on our toes.  I mean, shit, even Mr. & Mrs. Smith was entertaining from an action standpoint.  Jennifer Aniston probably doesn't think so, but I bet she's in the minority.  

Just as a sidenote, I loved Bill Paxton in this.  When does Bill Paxton not make a movie just a little bit better.  Same thing with Brendan Gleeson, but in a completely different way.

This movie was thoroughly entertaining and visually fantastic.  The performances by everyone were more varied than they had any right to be and played off each other seamlessly.  I loved this movie.  I probably should've just written that and kept this whole thing a little shorter.  Welp, lesson learned.

Rating: 9.5/10, the last half hour drags quite a bit, otherwise, it's basically perfect (for me).