Saturday, August 27, 2016

Movie Review: Bridge of Spies (2015)


Movie: Bridge of Spies (2015)

Director: Steven Spielberg

Writers: Matt Charman, Ethan Coen, & Joel Coen

Cast: Tom Hanks, Mark Rylance, Domenick Lombardozzi, Victor Verhaeghe, Joshua Harto, Alan Alda, Amy Ryan, Austin Stowell, & Jesse Plemons. 

One-Line Plot Synopsis: An American lawyer (Hanks) is pressured into defending an alleged Russian spy (Rylance) and bartering a deal to exchange him for an American pilot prisoner (Stowell).



What's that you say, Tom Hanks is in a movie...I'm in.  Oh, and Steven Spielberg's directing it...double in.  A Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg period war movie is the definition of a movie that won't let you down.  Now, it may not blow you away, but God dammit it's going to be really good.

The movie was co-written by the Coen Brothers if you were still on the fence about anything.  They basically got everyone who is good at making movies and threw them together for this one.  

I could get into the direction or the stylization or the gloomy feel of the movie, but based on the three above facts of who was working on the acting, directing, and writing, I think you've probably already made your mind up as to whether or not this movie is for you.  I just think I'll always thoroughly enjoy movies with these people involved and I'm more than happy to make time for them.  So, let me just talk about the one Oscar win that the movie had.

Mark Rylance was very good in the movie as a suspected Russian spy who was living in America.  So good in fact that he won this past year's Best Supporting Actor Oscar.  I agree that he was really good but I don't think he should have won the Oscar.  I think that the Supporting Actor category is actually harder to win than the Best Actor category as it is usually a much deeper nomination pool and you can get a little deeper and weirder with the types of characters you can play with as you don't have to carry a movie of be on screen all that long.  There are definitely perks to the job of a supporting actor when compared to a lead actor...at least in terms of award seasons.  I always judge my best supporting actors on one defined thing...am I going to go back to scenes or the entire movie in general to re-watch that person's work on the movie.  Usually the answer is yes.  In this case, it doesn't pass that test.  Don't get me wrong, he was very good in his role.  It just wasn't as eye-popping of a character that I'm usually drawn to.  That's more of a Me-thing than anything else, not a knock on Rylance at all.

Rating: 7.5/10

Good for my boy Landry on getting into another hell of a film.  Kudos to you my man.