Sunday, July 31, 2016

Movie Review: Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)


Movie: Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

Director: George Miller

Writers: George Miller, Brandon McCarthy, & Nico Lathouris 

Cast: Tom Hardy, Charlize Theron, Nicholas Hoult, & Zoe Kravitz

One-Line Plot Synopsis: Imperator Furiousa (Theron) defies the leader of post-apocalyptic Australia by fleeing with his female prisoners and enlisting Max's (Hardy) help along the way.



I tend to toss up movie trailers on the blog every once in a while in the event that one actually blow me away.  There are so many movie trailers that come out per week that for one to really stand out, it has to be something interesting, different, compelling, and/or totally visually imaginative.  That's why I wrote about Mad Max: Fury Road when they trailer came out.

I'm sure that the scope and vastness of the movie would have been infinitely magnified if I had gotten to see the movie on the big screen but I settled for the comfort of my own home to take this one in.  I can only imagine if I got to see it in an IMAX theater, since the movie was shot with the intention of viewing it on one of those IMAX screens, how much more the actual visual intentions of the film from George Miller would have come across.  

Even so, the visuals and special effects of the movie were fucking beautiful and breathtaking.  It was shot like pretty much no movie I had ever seen before.  Much more than the original Mad Max movies, Fury Road has what I would call, a futuristic desolation look to it.  Most post-apocalyptic movies are able to nail down that desolation look pretty well by just making everything dark and bleak, but to also capture what it would look like in the future, is something that is hard to describe in words, but easy to identify when you see it.  The movie is visually stunning in every single way.  The chase scenes...which is basically the entire movie, are incredibly choreographed and intense.  You can definitely see where the $150 million dollar budget went and it was money well spent.

On the other hand, the script for this movie must have been 20 pages...maximum.

If you're going into this movie looking for a deep and emotional connection to any of the characters or storylines, I'm sorry, but it's just not going to happen.  There's really no plot or character development to speak of at all in this movie.  That's all fine and dandy if you're not expecting any of that, but unfortunately for me, that's the heart of what I look for in any movie that I'm watching.  I love all of the bells and whistles as well, but I'm really a sucker for the emotional connection of a movie.  So for that reason, I probably liked it just a little less than most people.  The critics certainly loved the movie (as you can tell by the 6 Oscar wins) and so did the public as far as people I have talked to who've seen it, but I don't think it's going to be a movie I keep going back to the well for to watch it over and over.  Certain scenes...sure, but not the movie as a whole.

Rating: 8/10

P.S. Zoe Kravitz stinks.  She's so lucky that Lenny Kravitz is her father because she has zero acting skills.

P.P.S. I always come away from movies liking Nicholas Hoult more than I did going into it.