Thursday, May 12, 2016

Movie Review: Ant-Man (2015)


Movie: Ant-Man (2015)

Director: Peyton Reed

Writer: Edgar Wright, Joe Cornish, Paul Rudd, & Adam McKay

Cast: Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas, Corey Stoll, Evangeline Lilly, Bobby Cannavale, Anthony Mackie, Judy Greer, Michael Pena, T.I., & Abby Ryder Fortson.

One-Line Plot Synopsis: Cat burglar Scott Lang (Rudd) uses a suit that shrinks him to the size of an ant but increases his strength, to help save the world.





I just saw the third installment of the Captain America franchise this past weekend for Mother's Day so I figured I should probably get my Ant-Man review out of the way if I'm already watching movies that his character is in within the Avengers superhero universe.  Just as an FYI, Paul Rudd is great in Captain America: Civil War, maybe my favorite part of the movie.  Captain America movies are my favorite sub-Avengers franchise, so it just added to how much I like these particular movies.

Anyway, on to the actual review for Ant-Man.

Now, I'll be honest, I hadn't heard of Ant-Man as an actual superhero before seeing this movie, and the fact that he's basically a burglar who inherits a suit that can make him small (albeit with super-strength for his size) is a little underwhelming at first look, but I enjoyed this movie.  

I can't say that it's going to be one of these series of movies that is going to be a must-see sort of thing, but I'll always check it out once it hits streaming afterwords.  They're enjoyable, funny, and well made.  Plus, Paul Rudd is one of the most likable actors in Hollywood.  I mean, shit, I even watched Wanderlust, and that movie was fucking awful...except for this one scene.


I think the main thing that pulled this movie out of just another run-of-the-mill Marvel film to a good one is the very deep and talented cast.  Paul Rudd, Corey Stoll, Bobby Cannavale, Michael Pena, Judy Greer, Anthony Mackie, John Slattery, Haley Atwell, and even my boy T.I. (long live "Dead And Gone" featuring Timberlake).  It's nice to see Michael Douglas recovered from his cunnilingus fueled health problems too.  And last but not least, my girl Evangeline Lilly came in hot with the lead female role in the movie.  I'm not gonna lie, Kate from Lost has been one of my favorites for a while and I'm kind of psyched that she finally has a major role in a big movie (I haven't seen all the Hobbit films yet, so for me they don't count until I do).

Full disclosure, at one point in time, this was the background of my computer...so there's that.


Evangeline is right up my alley, just saying.

As for Ant-Man, for what the particular superhero actually does, the film was very entertaining.  The fight scenes were good, the acting was really good, and the CGI was especially good.  The fact that it was a sliver under two hours compared to the other 2 1/2 hour superhero movies was a gigantic plus as well.

Rating: 7/10

P.S. My favorite piece of trivia for the movie: When Paul Rudd told his nine-year-old son he was going to be Ant-Man, his son said, "Wow, I can't wait to see how stupid that'll be."