Thursday, February 18, 2016

Concert Review: Vance Joy at the Oakdale

Vance Joy
Opening Acts: Armstrong Leigh, Reuben and the Dark
Venue: The Dome at Oakdale Theatre
Location: Wallingford, CT
Date: February 11th, 2016



Unfortunately, I wasn't able to catch the first opening act, Armstrong Leigh because I had to get a bite to eat before the concert and the venue is about a 35 minute drive.  I needed a base in my stomach if I was going to get some beers in there.

Sidenote: The Oakdale has a nice selection of beer for a music venue.  I was popping back some Two Roads Road to Ruin Double IPAs for the duration of the show.

I tried looking up some music from Armstrong Leigh just in case we made it there to catch some of her set but I had a hard time getting my ears on anything of hers.  She only has two songs on Spotify and she isn't even on Wikipedia (not that that's a telltale sign of anything...but it kind of is).  I guess she used to be in a band called Dame.  The one thing I do know about her, is that she's married to Luke Cafferty (Matt Lauria), and really, that's all I need to know.


Just in case you might be into her or interested in what she sounds like, here's the first single off of her album, titled "Is This Love?"


I caught most of the second opener, Reuben and the Dark's set, and even though they played 4 or 5 songs, it literally sounded like they were all a continuation of the same song.  I couldn't really tell when one song ended and another one began.  Not to say that they sounded bad or anything like that, just that all of their songs seemed to have a very similar tone and sound, that's all.



And here's a song from the band out of Calgary if you're at all interested.  


Vance Joy is a lot taller than I thought he was.  I don't know what that says about anything but it's just something I was thinking when he came on stage.  Dude is 6'4'' and also has an amazing Australian accent.  He kind of looks like a guy who came over to you college from a different country to play soccer.

Let me tell you, he sounds amazing live.  He came out shooting from the hip with "Mess Is Mine" and I was instantly hooked.  The best part of the show is that Vance Joy only has one album and that album came out in September of 2014, so you have had time to get to learn the majority of the songs that he's going to play in concert.  Plus, he doesn't really have that lull in his set to play stuff of a "new album" because everything is from his debut one.  It's pretty much the perfect storm for the first time seeing him in concert.

It also helps if your debut album is really damn good. 

Check out the set list below from Vance:

Set List:
  1. Mess Is Mine
  2. Red Eye
  3. Winds of Change
  4. All I Ever Wanted
  5. Straight Into Your Arms
  6. From Afar / Wasted Time
  7. Play With Fire
  8. Emmylou
  9. Georgia
  10. Best That I Can
  11. Riptide
  12. You Can Call Me Al (Paul Simon Cover)
Encore:
  1. My Kind Of Man
  2. Fire And The Flood
Favorite Song: "Mess Is Mine"
Song I Wish I Heard: "Great Summer" which is off the soundtrack to the movie Paper Towns.  I had my fingers crossed on this one because he has a limited amount of songs in his catalog to choose from, but no dice.
Random Moment: This may just be a side note for my own preferences but it is awesome how many urinals are in the bathrooms at the Oakdale.  There were at least 15-20 open urinals every time I walked into the bathroom there and you have no idea how much of a relief that is when the band at the concert hasn't played some songs that you're looking forward to hearing.  It's the little things...

Live Show Grade: A-

Some additional pics from the show.  The majority of them are from me with a couple from Vance Joy's twitter feed at the end.