Monday, January 11, 2016

R.I.P. David Bowie, My Ten Favorite David Bowie Songs and My Favorite TV/Movie Moments of His

David Bowie
1947 - 2016 (Age 69)


Pretty sad news today that David Bowie passed away after a battle with cancer at the age of 69.  You can pretty much use every adjective in the book to describe him both as a person and an artist. Innovative, bold, original, creative, uncompromising, impressionistic, groundbreaking, inspiring, eclectic, electric, fantastic, and definitely unforgettable.



In no particular order...

1. "Under Pressure" with Queen
2. "Young Americans"
3. "Changes"
4. "Heroes"
5. "Ziggy Stardust"
6. "Rebel Rebel"
7. "Suffragette City"
8. "The Jean Genie"
9. "Fame"
10. "Golden Years"

It's hard to get across the huge type of influence that he had on so many different types of musicians and musical genres, but when everyone from Kanye West to Billy Ray Cyrus to The National to Gene Simmons is chiming in with what an influence he was on their music in particular, it's evident that he superseded classification.  Not to mention his influence on clothing, style, movies, writing, and everything in between.  Bowie was the pure definition of a one of a kind.

This quote of his has never been more relevant than today.  

"I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise it won't be boring."




Just thinking of the top of my head, I remembered so many different movies and TV shows that he was brilliant in as well.  Whether it be a cameo, an acting role, or as an inspiration for, his contribution to all art forms is unquestioned and will always be felt.

Here's a couple of my personal favorite David Bowie moments in Movies & TV:

The Breakfast Club - Opening Quote


 

David Bowie singing a song about Ricky Gervais in Extras





Who else to officiate a walk-off in Zoolander?


The Prestige as Inventor Nikola Tesla in which he showed he had some actual acting chops.


The Labyrinth Magic Dance...quintessential Bowie.



I never watching Twin Peaks but weird Bowie is perfect for the tone of anything involving David Lynch.  



I couldn't embed the clip from their show but the Flight of the Conchords Song about Bowie is pretty epic.



It didn't make any sense in a period piece but the Golden Year's dance scene in A Knight's Tale is so fun to watch for some reason.  Sometimes the best things don't make sense I guess.




R.I.P. to a Legend...