Friday, November 13, 2015

Movie Review: Into the Woods (2014)


Movie: Into The Woods (2014)

Writer: James Lapine

Director: Rob Marshall

Cast: Meryl Streep, Anna Kendrick, Emily Blunt, James Corden, Chris Pine, Johnny Depp, Daniel Huttlestone, & Lilla Crawford

One-Line Synopsis: A musical combining the classic fairy tales of Cinderella, Jack & The Beanstalk, and Little Red Riding Hood.


Maybe I'm just stupid, but I didn't realize that this was like a full-on musical.  I knew that there were songs and that the characters were singing but I didn't realize that they were basically singing their conversations throughout the entire movie as well.  I'm probably just an idiot.  I mean it was a Rob Marshall film after all and he directed both Chicago and Nine.  Either way, I wasn't a fan of this movie, which sucks because I'm a big fan of basically everyone who's in the movie.

I'm just going to say this, 125 minutes is way too long for a musical.  Everyone in the film is a pretty good singer (we all know about Anna) but I just found it super slow and it felt like it went on forever, especially when you're already familiar with the majority of the stories in the film.  I'm not exactly sure how Meryl Streep was nominated for best supporting actress in this either.  I know she's Meryl and all but are there really that few good supporting roles out there for women?  I guess I'm good with just nominating Meryl by default if there's nothing else good out there, but I have to think there were at least 5 good performances last year right?

On a brighter note, Anna Kendrick is still a knockout and probably the coolest chick around, so Room Temp.




Rating: 5/10

Sidenote: I didn't realize that Emily Blunt was prego during this movie.  By the way, she can legit do action movies.  Check out both the Edge of Tomorrow and Sicario if you have any questions about that.