Friday, October 30, 2015

Movie Review: Focus (2015)


Movie: Focus (2015)

Writer: Glenn Ficarra & John Requa

Director: Gelnn Ficarra & John Requa

Cast: Will Smith, Margot Robbie, Gerald McRaney, Rodrigo Santoro, BD Wong, & Adrian Martinez 

One-Line Plot Synopsis: Nicky (Will Smith) is a con-man who gets tangled up in a romance/working relationship with a femme fatale (Robbie).


Will Smith.  I can't remember the last time I really liked a Will Smith movie.  I mean, like really liked one.  Every single one of his movies these days is just middle-of-the-road.  The movie ends, and you just think, that was OK, but I'm probably never going to have an urge to ever watch one second of it ever again.  Is it the Scientology?  It's probably those spoiled little weirdo kids that he has.  Whatever it is, I'm hoping that Suicide Squad bring him back to hid old self from like 10-15 years ago.  It'll be the first time in a long time that he's chosen a role that I'd actually be excited to see him in.  Seriously, when was the last interesting role that he's played?

Anyway, enough of me ranting about wanting Will Smith to be in better movies...well, sort of...because Focus is basically right in line with his last 10 or so movies.  It wasn't bad or anything but if anyone suggests that I watch this with them, there's no doubt I'm going to pass on that shit.  I'll probably forget everything about this movie in a couple months, and I'm totally fine with that.

After having a little bit of a breakout in The Wolf of Wall Street, Margot Robbie plays the lead female role that tries to make Smith change his old ways of never connecting with a woman.  If you want to see a film that is along the same lines but quite a bit better, check out Confidence with Edward Burns and Rachel Weisz.  If you end up digging that movie, then definitely check out the foreign film Nine Queens for a really cool con-man movie.

If you want to have a movie on in the background that you don't have to pay attention to while you're folding laundry or making dinner, then I have no problem putting this on, but I wouldn't recommend it for a movie night where you're staying in because it's too God Damn cold to go outside.

Rating: 6/10...wait, I forgot that Jaden Smith exists, 5/10.

P.S. I see you Discount Double-Check guy.