Friday, April 3, 2015

Movie Review: The Hunt (2012)


Movie: The Hunt (2012)

Director: Thomas Vinterburg

Writer: Thomas Vinterburg & Tobias Lindholm

Cast: Mads Mikkelsen, Thomas Bo Larsen, Annika Wedderkopp, Lasse Fogelstrom, & Susse Wold

One-Line Plot Synopsis: A teacher struggling to gain custody of his son has his life torn apart by a small lie.



Now that I think about it, Mads Mikkelsen might be my favorite foreign actor right now.  Hannibal is one of my favorite shows on TV and made it on to my Top Ten TV Shows of 2014 and he is great in both English and Non-English speaking films. 

I'm thinking more of in terms of non-English speaking countries, so no Brits of Aussies, but he's probably pretty high on my all-encompassing list of foreign actors as well.

In The Hunt, Mikkelsen is pretty incredible.  He has to carry most of the movie with the plot solely focused on him throughout the film, and he is more than able to do so.  Movies like this one make me so incredibly on edge and anxious because it has so many scenes of uncomfortable discriminatory and pre-judged violence (both verbal and physical) that it makes it hard to watch some times.

Now, I'm not saying there there any uber-violent scenes like something out of American History X, but its more of a overall feeling and tone of actions where you just feel for a guy going through situations where there is nothing he can do to change people's views and be wrongfully persecuted and treated.

I think the worst part of all of it, is that you can picture this happening in everyday life and it completely ruining someone's life.  The only difference is that us as the audience, know the actual events that occurred, so it makes it much more easy for me to feel bad for the person who is being wrongly accused when I know the true events that have taken place.  

Now, I don't think that I would act the same way as the people in this small town do in this film but if someone was accused of molesting children, that's the worst thing you could do in my mind, and I'm not 100% sure of what I would do in that situation.

This films is brilliantly acted, completely authentic from both a story and tone sort of feel, and is another reason why Mad Mikkelsen is the fucking man.  Just a really, really good film on all aspects.

Rating: 8/10