Wednesday, January 7, 2015

The Governors Ball 2015 Lineup Announced


The lineup for the Governors Ball Music Festival was just announced for 2015, and it's diverse and pretty sweet if you ask me.  Unlike when I go to the Newport Folk Festival every year, Governors Ball offer a lot more genres and options to discover things you otherwise might not have checked out.

I've been to Randall's Island for the Music Festival the last two years and was able to check out the following bands: Kings of Leon, The Strokes, Nas, Fitz & The Tantrums, The Lumineers, The Cold War Kids, Gary Clark, Jr., Kanye West, Bloc Party, Freddie Gibbs, The Naked and Famous, Young The Giant, Japandroids, Icona Pop, Cut Copy, and Jack White.

That's the first time I had seen the Cold War Kids and I became a big fan of them ever since then.

Now it's time to add a couple more bands and artists to the list.  Here's the video with the bands if you don't like to read the poster up top.




The 5 Bands I'd be most excited to see include three bands I've already seen, a rock group on the up and up, and a rap group that's style reminds me a lot of A Tribe Called Quest/Jurassic 5.  That's the kind of rap that I'm personally a fan of. 

Noel Gallagher and the High Flying Birds



I'm not sure if Noel is going to play any Oasis songs but I familiar enough with his first High Flying Birds album that I'll actually be able to get by with just songs from them.

Ryan Adams


Ryan Adams self-titled album was probably my favorite album top-to-bottom of all of last year, so it's no surprise that I want to catch him live.  I saw him headline this past Newport Folk Festival but his album had just come out so I only really knew "Gimmie Something Good."  Now I'm very familiar with every song on the album.

The War on Drugs


These guys have been getting a ton of accolades on the majority of the "best of" lists of 2014 so I at least need to check them out if I go this year.  They sound pretty good to me so far in my limited listening experience.

The Black Keys


I probably should've picked a different band for this spot since The Black Keys are literally the last band I saw in concert when I was down in Nashville, but they were so good live that I would NEED to see them at Governors Ball.  You never expect so much energy and sound to come from a two-piece band, but they're incredible live.

The People Under The Stairs


It's almost impossible to sound good live as a rap group but these guys somehow pull it off.  It's especially hard to perform in a festival setting as a rap group so I'm excited to see if these guys can pull it off.  I have to say, Childish Gambino was awesome live and I think it might have to do with him having a live backing band.

June 5th - June 7th...get ready.