Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Concert Review: The Black Keys in Nashville, TN

The Black Keys

Opening Act: St. Vincent
Venue: Bridgestone Arena
Location: Nashville, TN
Date: December 8, 2014


I've finally had some time to put my thoughts together and get them down after my trip to Nashville in early December.  I had first planned the trip so that I could catch the Giants/Titans game that Sunday afternoon but when we saw that The Black Keys were playing downtown on that Monday, we decided to extend the trip an extra day and catch them.

It seemed like the perfect end to a trip to Nashville.  I mean how can you not see a live music show when you're in such a music town.  And to be able to see one that is famously a great live band with a blues rock vibe to them...it was a no-brainer.

St. Vincent opened up and we were able to catch her last couple of songs.  From catching St. Vincent on SNL, I was expecting more of a synthesized feel to her songs (which was definitely part of them) but they rocked out a little more than I was expecting.  I also had no idea that she used to be in Sufjan Stevens' band, which kind of makes me like here a little more since I'm a fan of his music.

She's not really my cup of tea but her on-stage presence reminded me a little of Karen O from the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.  Here's a song to wet your ear buds and see if she's something you might be interested in.




The Black Keys were up next and did they ever put on a show.  It's crazy that so much sound, energy, and angst can come out of basically a two-person band.  I've seen the drumming of Patrick Carney get torn apart by people before but I think his sloppy garage band style really fits with the sound of the band.  Plus, lead singer/guitarist Dan Auerbach says that they speed up and slow down songs (sometimes during the song) so that it never feels the same from show to show.

I'm not sure if I buy that or not but I can tell you that they were fucking awesome to watch and listen to live.  We had standing room on the floor of the Bridgestone Arena (home to the NHL Nashville Predators) and everybody around seemed to be really into the show.  You can't always say that for concerts at large arenas but I think that might be more commonplace in Nashville than across the country.

Here's the setlist from the show if you're interested.
  1. (Edwyn Collins cover)
  2. Encore:

Favorite Song: "Gold On The Ceiling" or "Little Black Submarines"
Song I Wish They Played: "Everlasting Light"
Random Moment: Pretty good beer and spirits for a arena.  Also, I tried some good beer when we ate down the street from the arena pre-show at Merchants Restaurant.  I really liked all the beers from Yazoo that I tried, especially the Hop Project.  Cool place.





LIVE SHOW GRADE: A-

The Venue: Bridgestone Arena

Opening Act: St. Vincent







video