College: Colorado State Rams
The Giants definitely needed help on the offensive line to try and keep Eli upright this year, so it was a no-brainer that they were going to go offensive line with their 2nd round pick no matter what. Weston Richburg better be ready to play because, as of right now, he's our starting center.
If all else fails, he has a pretty cool name.
Some quick hits about the big man in the middle.
- He fractured his snapping hand (right) in 2011 and rather than taking a seat on the bench, he began snapping with his left. I like the kind of toughness being responsible for Eli.
- He never missed a game in college, starting 50 straight (a CSU all-time record).
- As a farm boy from the south, he received an Animal Science degree from Colorado State. So at least we're moving up from the Human Movement major of Odell Beckham, Jr.
- He's very athletic for an offensive lineman and excelled at the combine showcasing that. Here's where he ranked amongst centers at the combine.
- 2nd in the 40
- 4th in bench press reps
- 3rd in vertical jump
- 2nd in the three cone drill
- 2nd in the 20-yard shuttle
- He should excel in OC Ben McAdoo's new West Coast systems as it has a lot of zone blocking in it, which Richburg did a ton of in college.
- Let's check out his reaction from twitter (@westonrichburg)
It's kind of tough to determine how good an offensive lineman is, especially if they're a center, but here's a couple highlights of his anyway. You see, even Fox Sports couldn't get over a full minute of O-Lineman highlights.