Friday, May 9, 2014

NY Giants Draft Profile: Odell Beckham, Jr.


Round: 1
Pick: 12
Position: WR
College: LSU Tigers

My main man Steve Weatherford posted that picture on twitter after the NY Giants took WR Odell Beckham, Jr. with their first pick of the 2014 NFL Draft.  It's a great picture and I'm totally cool with this pick.  I would have been just as happy with an O-Lineman or CJ Mosely at ILB, but I'm definitely not upset about this.

The Giants haven't used a first round pick on a linebacker since Carl Banks in 1984, so I pretty much knew that Mosely was out of the realm of realistic possibilities from the get-go, but I still held out the slightest glimmer of hope so that I could envision some Tide on the Giants.  I mean, they still haven't replaced Antonio Pierce in the heart of their defense.

New York could have really used an offensive lineman to sure up things in front of Eli with the shakiness that was going on there last year but with Michigan's Taylor Lewan picked right before them at 11, I don't think they felt that Zack Martin had enough value to pick at 12.

New Offensive Coordinator Ben McAdoo is installing a Green Bay-type of West Coast offense that thrives on getting the ball in the hands of your playmakers, and Odell Beckham, Jr. fits that mold.  He reminds me of a Randall Cobb where he can hurt you in the slot, on the outside, in the screen game, and in the return game.

And that reminds me, when was the last time the Giants had an actual threat at returner?  Ever?


Now on to the important stuff.
  • He went to the same high school as Eli, Isidore Newman School in New Orleans.  So he's obviously awesome already.
  • He joined none other than Eli's brother, Cooper Manning, as the only 2 players to record 1,000 yard receiving seasons at their high school.  Who doesn't love Cooper?
  • This is his fiance (not a ton of good pics but that's about to change)



  • His haircut game is on point and it looks like he's learned well from the Honey Badger


  • His major in college.......Human Movement.  I have no idea if that's about the human body or people migrating or what, but all of a sudden I'm jealous I didn't have this offered in college.

  • Here's the response from the Giants players on twitter:






  • It looks like Odell is pumped to be on the Giants already too.