Monday, February 17, 2014

The 10 Movies I'm Most Looking Forward To in 2014

Top 10 Movies I'm Looking Forward To In 2014


Here was last year's 10 movies I was looking forward to from 2013.  It looks like I hit on some good ones including American Hustle and The Place Beyond The Pines but missed on some others like Man of Steel (although I may have liked it more than others).  Since no release date is ever certain for a year when projecting out in February, three of the movies on the list for 2013 are now actually going to come out in 2014.  Since I don't want to repeat any movies from last year, I'm leaving Serena, The Monuments Men (from the looks of the trailer and the fact that it is coming out in the dead release month of February, this might be a good thing), and Sin City: A Dame To Kill For off of the list.

Here's this year's list in no particular order.

1. 
Interstellar
Release Date: November 7th
Director: Christopher Nolan
Cast: Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain, Casey Affleck, Michael Caine, Topher Grace, Wes Bentley, John Lithgow, & Ellen Burstyn


If I make a top ten list and Christopher Nolan is coming out with a movie, that movie is on the list.  Just look at McConaughey kicking the shit out of Hollywood lately with Mud, Dallas Buyers Club, an Oscar Nom, a Golden Globe win, True Detective, and now the lead in a Christopher Nolan movie.  Not too shabby.  Christopher Nolan is able to keep the movies he makes about the story and yet still make them visually incredible and uniquely original.




2. 
A Most Wanted Man
Release Date: January 19th (Sundance)/TBD 2014 Wide
Director: Anton Corbijn
Cast: Philip Seymour Hoffman, Rachel McAdams, Robin Wright, Daniel Bruhl, & Willem Dafoe

Premiered at Sundance last month.  Especially with the death of one of my all-time favorite actors, PHS, I absolutely have to see this one so I can see him be one the best in the theater one last time.  This movie is an International thriller that focuses on agencies from different countries and terrorism.

P.S. I love Rachel McAdams...still.

P.P.S. Daniel Bruhl could sneaky be climbing up my favorites list if he kills it in A Most Wanted Man after he was amazing in Rush.



3. 
Kill The Messenger
Release Date: TBD 2014
Director: Michael Cuesta
Cast: Jeremy Renner, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Michael Sheen, Barry Pepper, Robert Patrick, Michael K. Williams, Ray Liotta, Paz Vega, Andy Garcia, Rosemarie DeWitt, Tim Blake Nelson, & Oliver Platt

I never understood why Barry Pepper never hit it huge.  He was rising fast in the late ninties/early two-thousands when he played the sniper in Saving Private Ryan, Roger Maris in 61, and co-starred in Spike Lee's 25th Hour.  I guess sometimes it just doesn't happen for reasons unknown.  I'm pumped to see Renner in a leading role again, I really like that guy.  Renner plays journalist Gary Webb in this adaptation of the true story where he became the target of a vicious smear campaign after uncovering CIA secrets.  Also, what's up Omar?  I need you in my movie life, not just my TV life on Boardwalk Empire.




4.
En chance til
Release Date: TBD 2014
Director: Susanne Bier
Cast: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Ulrich Thompson, & Nikolaj Lie Kaas

Unfortunately, this makes two movies in a row with no trailers but that will happen when the movies aren't close to having come out yet.  It takes one of my top ten favorite directions (Bier), one of my favorite TV characters right now (Jamie Lannister on Game of Thrones; Coster-Waldau), and a Bier staple in her movies (Thompson, who is also on the underrated show Banshee).  I had one of her movies (Serena) on the list last year but its release got pushed back to this year.




5. 
The Gunman
Release Date: TBD 2014
Director: Pierre Morel
Cast: Sean Penn, Idris Elba, Javier Bardem, Ray Winstone

In The Gunman, an International spy (I'm guessing played by Penn) tries to clear his name in order to save himself from the organization he used to work for.  Finally Penn gets back to his Casualties of War military ways but hopefully he doesn't play quite the same level of asshole in this one.  I'm curious to see what kind of roles Elba, Bardem, and Winstone are cast as but for some reason, I'm hoping Elba gets to use his normal British accent.




6. 
X-Men: Days of Future Past
Release Date: May 23rd
Director: Bryan Singer
Cast: Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellan, James McAvoy, Michael Fassbener, Jennifer Lawrence, Nicholas Hoult, Hugh Jackman, Halle Berry, Peter Dinklage, Ellen Page, Anna Paquin, & Shawn Ashmore

Bryan Singer is back on the X-Men train to direct the 5th X-Men movie, this time combining the older cast from his original two movies with the new, younger cast from the last movie X-Men: First Class.  Just thank God that this has nothing to do with X-Men: The Last Stand or fucking Brett Ratner.  I kind of wish that Halle Berry wasn't in this one either, but as long as they keep her role minor, it'll be fine I suppose.  Luckily for the franchise, many of the cast have broken out to become much bigger stars since the Since First Class came out (Fassbender, Lawrence, Paquin, etc.).  


I will see anything with Fassbender in it and this movie looks fantastic.  He did a teaser trailer for Prometheous that I may have liked better than the movie as a whole and he did another really cool one for this flick.




7.
Untitled Terrence Malick Project
Release Date: TBD 2014
Director: Terrence Malick
Cast: Christian Bale, Natalie Portman, Michael Fassbender, Ryan Gosling, Cate Blanchett, Rooney Mara, Val Kilmer, Benicio Del Toro, Holly Hunter, Clifton Collins Jr., Tom Sturridge

I don't think I'm ever going to learn my lesson on Terrence Malick films.  I absolutely could not stand The Tree of Life and all of it's incoherentness and self-importance.  His movies are always 45 minutes too long but also always beautifully shot and with absolutely amazing cinematography.  This cast is just way too up my alley to not put on this list even though I'm almost certainly hyping this up, only to be disappointed later.  I've read reports that Fassbender doesn't even know if he'll be cut out of the movie or not.  What the shit Malick?!?

Just as a quick synopsis, the movie is about two intersecting love triangles set in the music scene of Austin, Texas.  Sounds pretty cool but I can never figure out Malick's movies, so I'm not going to try and start now.






8.
Inherent Vice
Release Date: TBD 2014
Director: Paul Thomas Anderson
Cast: Joaquin Phoenix, Jena Malone, Josh Brolin, Reese Witherspoon, Owen Wilson, Benicio Del Toro, Maya Rudolph & Martin Short

Paul Thomas Anderson takes his time in between projects so my anticipation of any release of his is always heightened but I can't help but get over-excited about the pairing of PTA and Phoenix, plus the reuniting of Johnny and June Cash.  Even though I didn't really like The Master, I did think that the acting was superb and the direction was very good, it's just that the material and subject matter wasn't for me.  It's nice to see Benicio getting to be in a couple of great ensembles in 2014 and it was only a matter of time before Mrs. PTA (Rudolph) snuck into one of her husband's movies.  The movie is set in the drug underground of L.A during the 1970's and has Phoenix investigating the disappearance of a former girlfriend.  In.

P.S. Great movie title.






9.
Midnight Special
Release Date: TBD 2014
Director: Jeff Nichols
Cast: Michael Shannon, Kirsten Dunst, Adam Driver, Joel Edgerton, & Jaeden Lieberher

Joel Nichols has knocked it out of the park with each of his first three movies; Shotgun Stories, Take Shelter, and Mud.  He seems to have masterfully conquered the art of depicting southern located dramas that are centered around the importance of family and the casting in his films has been pitch perfect thus far.  He was able to capture the elements of the supernatural with Michael Shannon before in the film Take Shelter, so it makes me much more confident that he'll be able to elaborate on those types of themes in Midnight Special.  Nichols has also been able to get stellar performances out of his younger actors prior (i.e. Mud), which only makes me more comfortable with setting my sights on a even higher level of film making here.  The film centers on a father and son who are on the run after the father learns that his son possesses special powers.

Also, I'm a big Joel Edgerton fan, so that's awesome too.

P.S. If you have the time, I seriously recommend checking out Jeff Nichols' other films.  They're all great in their own different ways.  He really is a great filmmaker and story-teller.

The film just starting shooting this month, so here is the only picture available so far of a closed of street where they were filming on the Mississippi 605.




10.
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Release Date: July 11th
Director: Matt Reeves
Cast: Gary Oldman, Keri Russell, Jason Clarke, Andy Serkis, Toby Kebbel, & Judy Greer

When I first heard about this movie, I was hesitant about putting any expectations on it because they were getting rid of the cast from the first movie and replacing them with a whole new group of actors.  As it turns out, they just upgraded the whole cast and made it deeper too.  The one mainstay carryover of The Rise of the Planet of the Apes is Andy Serkis who should get some kind of award for the amazing job he does as Caesar in that movie.

I think the trailer looks pretty bad ass if you ask me and after the great re-watchability of the first movie, I'm pretty psyched for this one.

P.S. No Freida Pinto is the best thing that could have ever happened for the sequel.  She was Hall of Fame level terrible in the first one.


Bonus
Captain America: The Winder Soldier
Release Date: April 4th
Directors: Anthony Russo & Joe Russo
Cast: Chris Evans, Anthony Mackie, Scar Jo, Samuel L. Jackson, Robert Redford, Cobie Smulders, Frank Grillo, Dominic Cooper, & Toby Jones

Captain America: The First Avenger is just below the Iron Man movies if I'm trying to rank all of the Marvel movies that are associated with The Avengers as a whole.  I enjoyed the first movie too much to leave it off the list completely.  Chris Evans can be good huh...who knew?



Just Missed the Cut:
Noah - Hesitant about the darker story of Noah but like the possibilities of the cast.
22 Jump Street  - With how hit comedy sequels have gone (Anchorman/Hangover), but I'm still holding out hope.
Gone Girl - I really wish Reese Witherspoon was still the co-lead in this but Affleck has worked up some equity with me.
Foxcatcher - The trailer is pretty good and I've seen Carrell do drama before but it looks like his performance has a chance to be way over the top.
The Grand Budapest Hotel - Wes Anderson just ain't my bag baby.
Under The Skin - Scar Jo in a horror flick but not one of your typical variety.
The Raid 2 - I just don't see how it can live up to the first flick, The Raid: Redemption.
Enemy - Jake Gyllenhaal goes in search of his lookalike after he sees him in a movie.  It looks pretty cool and creepy.
Guardians of the Galaxy - Could be good, right?
Veronica Mars - I'll definitely wait until it's on Netflix, but it will be watched.