Sunday, February 2, 2014

R.I.P. Philip Seymour Hoffman & My Ten Favorite Roles/Movies Of His

R.I.P. Philip Seymour Hoffman
1967 - 2014 (Age 46)


With the extremely sad news of the reports that Philip Seymour Hoffman has passed away from an apparent drug overdose (heroin), here is a list of my top ten movies that he's in.  I didn't want to base them off of his performance only or how much I liked the movie only, so they're all a combination of all aspects of them.  He was one of my ten favorite actors to watch and it's sad to see another actor pass away at such a young age.  Just going through his insanely great roles and movies, I've probably spent about a week of my life just watching his movies (25 total).

Right off the bat, I have to break down the list and exclude certain movies based on a couple of things before I can narrow it down to only 10.

Don't Make The List Since I Haven't Seen It:


The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
Capote
State and Main
Flawless

Movies That I Just Didn't Like Of His:

Jack Goes Boating
The Invention of Lying
Pirate Radio
Synecdoche, New York

Movies Where He Just Has A Tiny Part:


Twister
Cold Mountain

Good Movies, But JUST Good:


Patch Adams
Mission Impossible III
The Ides of March
Red Dragon

Critically Acclaimed Movies That Just Missed The Cut:

The Master
The Savages
Punch-Drunk Love
The Talented Mr. Ripley
Doubt (hardest omission)

Without further ado, here's the top 10.

10. The Big Lebowski - Brandt

How can you have a top ten list where The Big Lebowski is eligible and not include it?  Even if he may not even make the cut of the top ten characters in the movie alone, it can not be excluded from the list.


9. Scent Of A Woman - George Willis, Jr.

Hoffman's breakout role as a young actor, although Chris O'Donnell had the meaty and most desired role of a student, Hoffman played well off of O'Donnell as a kid being made to snitch on his friend due to the pressure from his father.  So what if this scene is Pacino securing himself his long-awaited Oscar, it's still a great scene.


8. Magnolia - Phil Parma

Anyone who can work them into Paul Thomas Anderson's stable of actors is doing something right.  The modern day Robert Altman is a magician with ensemble casts and oozes originality.  Phil Parma is just one of the finely drawn characters that makes this movie sing.


7. Moneyball - Art Howe

I've realized that this movie is insanely re-watchable now that it has made its rounds on HBO.  Any one of a thousand scenes can pull you in for an easy hour or entertainment.  I just wish the full scene was here so I could see them get rid of Jeremy Giambi...I fucking love that scene.


6. Almost Famous - Lester Bangs

I had to throw in two scenes here.  Hoffman steals and owns every scene he's in and if they'd given him a couple more, he may have stolen the movie.  I remember reading that he shot his scene in a couple of days and was so sick the whole time that he could barley get through them and I always that it was pretty cool...just saying.



5. Along Came Polly - Sandy Lyle

This movie would be mediocre at best without Hoffman elevating it times a hundred.  The basketball scene, the pizza scene, and the art gallery scene where he came up with "shart-ing" are comedy gold.


4. Before The Devil Knows Your Dead - Andy

I don't know if I want to go back and watch this now since he was shooting up heroin in the movie but this Sidney Lumet film is drastically underrated.  Oh, and this was during the period where Marisa Tomei was getting all kinds of naked...and does so in the very first scene in the movie.  She has aged like a fine wine and you can go look up the video if you're interested.


3. 25th Hour - Jacob Elinsky

Since everywhere pretty much only has the Edward Norton scene in the mirror at the bar, I didn't think I was going to be able to find anything but thank God I did.


2. Charlie Wilson's War - Gust Avrakotos

Philip Seymour Hoffman absolutely knocks every scene in this movie out of the park.  It's like he was made to play Gust.  His acting is perfection.




1. Boogie Nights - Scotty J.

It may not be his most prolific role or the one that he can do the most with since it's only a supporting part, but this movie is in my top ten all-time favorite movies, so it's the scene of his that I've seen the most out of all the movies he's done.  His reactionary movements and emotions are fucking great.